Monday, April 19, 2010

Salt

An interesting article in Nutrition Action about salt and the impact, especially with high blood pressure. "Over time, 90% of people in this country develop hypertension," according to physician Stephen Havas, former VP of Science, Quality and Public Health at the American Medical Associaton. If you don't have high blood pressure, odds are you will in time. So what can you do? Reduce your salt intake for starters. The average American woman consumes about 3000 milligrams of sodium a day. Average man about 4000 milligrams. Recommended levels are 1500 mg a day.

I've noticed the last 4 times I've gone out for sushi, I feel kinda bloated or not quite right feeling afterwards. I feel like I've had way too much sodium. All that rice, soy sauce, sodium. Now I'm taking notice of how much sodium I'm having in a day. It's hard when you eat out. Here's some examples of sodium levels:

McDonald's Big Mac 1040
Panera French Onion Soup 1560 (10 oz)
California Pizza Kitchen Chinese Chicken Salad 2460
PF Chang's Sesame Chicken and Rice 3060

The sodium levels add up, huh?? Try and take notice and keep the 1500 a day in mind. Stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great Books To Read

  • Eating Animals
  • Food Matters
  • Omnivore's Dilemma
  • Sneaky Chef
  • The China Study

What I Enjoy Watching

  • Current Channel (Vanguard)
  • Food Inc. Movie
  • Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

My Medicine Cabinet

  • Calcium and Magnesium
  • Echinacea with Golden Seal
  • Fish Oil
  • Multivitamin
  • Oregano Oil (respiratory & sinus)
  • Oscillococcinum (flu)
  • Vitamin C