Thursday, April 1, 2010

School Lunch Program

So yesterday I went to Oceanside to meet up with my good friend Kathy. She's teaching the cooks for the San Diego pre-k on making some changes to their breakfast/lunch menus. They had 15 cooks representing all over San Diego. Her presentation was great, like always. She wanted some food samples. I made multi-grain coconut french toast cooked with olive oil and topped off with fresh mangoes and banana slices. For lunch I did whole wheat pita bread pizza with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese. Since it's a govt assisted program, they do have to follow certain guidelines. So my pita pizza needs some kind of meat. I suggested ground turkey. They liked it. I got a round of applause, which made my day. All and all, Kathy was successful. So the cooks/director has committed to some changes:

wheat instead of white, incorporate white & brown rice together until the kids get used to brown and eventually switching to brown, olive oil instead of canola, butter instead of margarine. Small changes add up and we're talking about 1000+ kids.

My pita pizza didn't make it on the menu :(, but I'm happy to say the french toast did!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great Books To Read

  • Eating Animals
  • Food Matters
  • Omnivore's Dilemma
  • Sneaky Chef
  • The China Study

What I Enjoy Watching

  • Current Channel (Vanguard)
  • Food Inc. Movie
  • Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

My Medicine Cabinet

  • Calcium and Magnesium
  • Echinacea with Golden Seal
  • Fish Oil
  • Multivitamin
  • Oregano Oil (respiratory & sinus)
  • Oscillococcinum (flu)
  • Vitamin C